| The subject of this article is non-canonical.|
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse.
|A Stake to the Heart, Part One|
|Publication date||August 27, 2003|
|Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic #60|
Slayer, Interrupted, Part Four
A Stake to the Heart, Part Two
|Published by||Dark Horse Comics|
|Penciller(s)|| Cliff Richards|
|Cover artist(s)||Brian Horton|
A Stake to the Heart, Act One: Deceit is the sixtieth issue of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic comic book series. It was written by Fabian Nicieza and illustrated by Cliff Richards, with painted pages by Brian Horton.
Buffy Summers has faced vampires, demons and monsters but now she must face the scariest thing of all: the divorce of her parents! But with divorce comes all the bad feelings attached to it, for all the members of the family, and those bad feelings take on physical shapes. No vampire is safe as the tortured young Slayer takes her anger and frustrations to the streets of L.A. All the while she is being closely watched by the mysterious vampire with a soul, Angel.
- This story includes the memories around Dawn Summers, only to be created in "Buffy vs. Dracula".
- Buffy, Dawn, and Joyce Summers are yet to move to Sunnydale, making this story previous to the series' debut episode "Welcome to the Hellmouth."
- Angel recalls siring Garner Sidle (The Big Fold).
- Dawn mentions reading Buffy's diary (Slayer, Interrupted, Part One), but only now she discovers her sister really is the Slayer.
- Giles complains about Sunnydale's bright weather, as he would do again in "Teacher's Pet."
- Buffy Summers
- Dawn Summers
- Hank Summers
- Jesse McNally
- Joyce Summers
- Richard Wilkins (Only mentioned)
- Rupert Giles
- Willow Rosenberg
- Xander Harris
- Los Angeles, USA
- Sunnydale, USA
Weapons and Objects
Behind the Scenes
- The photo cover has a promotional photo shoot for Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 1.
- This story is part of the third book of the Buffy: Year One trilogy, the last stories of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic, about Buffy Summers as a Slayer before her arrival in Sunnydale.
- Editor Scott Allie declared about this title: "we entered into [the final part of the Year One storyline] knowing it was going to be the end of the monthly series. The TV show was ending, we'd just done a series in a mental institution ["Slayer, Interrupted"], and we all felt we were doing the best work the monthly had seen. Our disappointment with having the book end was reflected in the extremely dark storyline."
Pop Culture References
- An unidentified man plays Microsoft Solitaire.