- "Next Friday, I’m gonna die."
- ―Cassie Newton[src]
- "I’d love to ice skate at Rockefeller Center. And I’d love to watch my cousins grow up, see who they become — cause they’re really mean and I think they’re gonna be fat. And I’ve never been to the Louvre. I’d love to see the Mona Lisa. Or meet Peter Falk. Or backpack across the country. Or, I don’t know… fall in love. But I won’t. I just… never will."
Cassie was the daughter of a divorced couple, a mother and an alcoholic father with a criminal record; Phillip Newton. Her mother obtained custody, while her father, only obtained one weekend a month with his daughter. She maintained the blog Cassie's Poetry and Paintings, and was apparently a fan of the band White Stripes. At Sunnydale High, Cassie was friends with Mike Helgenberg and Dawn Summers.
Cassie was sent to Buffy Summers, the school’s guidance counselor, because she had stopped doing her homework and her grades had dropped. She told Buffy that she would die on the next Friday.
Buffy, along with Xander, Dawn, Willow, and Spike managed to rescue her from a group of boys who tried to sacrifice her for the Invocation of Avilas. However, immediately after, Cassie died of a heart failure caused by a congenital condition, fulfilling her own prophecy.
- Buffy: "See? You can make a difference."
- Cassie: "And you will."
- — Buffy and Cassie’s final conversation[src]
Before dying, Cassie revealed a couple of prophecies that were fulfilled during the battle between the Slayers and the First Evil’s Turok-Han army. She revealed to Spike that “[Buffy]’ll tell [him]” she loved him, and to Buffy that she would make a difference: activating every Potential Slayer in the world into real Slayers.
The figure of Cassie later appeared to Willow claiming to have a message from Tara Maclay: if she used magic, she would kill all her friends. Willow believed her until Cassie told her that she should kill herself, to save everyone and be with Tara again. Willow realized that this was not Cassie, so this figure — actually a disguise of the First Evil — taunted Willow and disappeared.
Powers and Abilities
- "Some things, I just know. I don’t know how I do, I just do."
Cassie’s precognitive abilities manifested themselves not in the form visions of premonitions, but in the form of vague knowledge and intuition. Her abilities granted her vague knowledge of future events, but not their causes, thus leaving her nearly helpless to prevent them. Cassie’s predictions included:
- Buffy’s coffee stain on her shirt.
- Mike’s B in Egyptian History.
- Buffy going underground.
- Coins, which were part of the ritual summoning of Avilas.
- Her own death.
- Buffy telling Spike she loved him.
- Buffy defeating the First Evil and activating the power of all potential Slayers.
- "I want go to the stupid Winter Formal. I have this friend, and it would be fun to go with him. Just to dance, hear lame music, to wear a silly dress and laugh and stuff."
- ―Cassie Newton
- Mike Helgenberg — He was Cassie’s closest friend, and he also had a crush on her and repeatedly asked her to the Winter Formal. While she kept it a secret, Cassie was seemingly aware of Mike’s feelings for her and also reciprocated them but refused to get closer to him because of the knowledge of her future.
In her blog, the following pictures were available:
Behind the Scenes
- She was portrayed by Azura Skye.
- Her full name was disclosed on the real website for her blog www.cassienewton.com (now inactive).
- Cassie’s name derives from the Greek mythologic figure of Cassandra, a woman was cursed to utter prophecies which were true but which no one believed.
- Cassandra is the last of only two characters on Buffy the Vampire Slayer to die of natural causes, the other being Joyce Summers.
- Cassandra Newton at the Internet Movie Database