| The subject of this article is non-canonical.|
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse.
|He walks ... He talks ... He kills.|
|Author(s)|| Christopher Golden|
|Publication date||November 1, 1997|
|Published by||Pocket Books|
It's Halloween in Sunnydale and Xander and Willow warn Buffy not go out on Halloween if it's raining. See, the rain here is magical on Halloween and if it lands on a scarecrow that scarecrow will come alive with the spirit of Halloween, which is basically the evil Samhein who comes back every Halloween to hunt the Slayer. He's killed one before and nothing's going to stop him from getting to Buffy. While at a Halloween bash at The Bronze, Buffy is forced to go to the cemetery to fight the legions of the undead. After several fights she encounters Samhein, the Pumpkin King, who's ready and willing to take her life.
- Buffy Summers
- Rupert Giles
- Xander Harris
- Willow Rosenberg
- Cordelia Chase
- Joyce Summers
- Samhain (Pumpkin King)
- Glenn O'Leary (town nutcase)
- Claire Bellamy (Bronze manager)
- Nick Daniels (Bronze assistant manager)
Behind the Scenes
- This was the first original Buffy the Vampire Slayer novel. It is sometimes listed as the second for following a novelization of "Welcome to the Hellmouth."
- Although the canocity of all Buffy the Vampire Slayer novels are questionable, the events of this novel are strictly non-canon, as it directly contradicts the show in its depiction of Halloween. In the novel, it is explained that there is more than usual supernatural activity; however, in the episode "Halloween" it is stated that no supernatural activity occurs, contrary to expectations. The novel was written before that episode, but was released only days afterward.
- Buffy's use of a crossbow and references to The Master indicate that the novel takes place sometime after "Angel" but before "Prophecy Girl".
- In Dutch the novel is called Halloween.