Hank met Joyce Summers during a homecoming in her freshmen year at college. They married, and had their daughters Buffy and Dawn in Los Angeles. He used to take Buffy for trick-or-treating until she was twelve. At the end of 1996, he and Joyce divorced. Their fights and separation happened around the time Buffy was called as a Slayer, making her believe her troubles caused their disagreements. Joyce, Buffy, and Dawn then moved to Sunnydale.
During the first year after the separation, Hank still visited Buffy and Dawn on some weekends, and Buffy spent a summer vacation with him in Los Angeles, when he noticed she was distant and disconnected (due to her death fighting the Master), and he overcompensated "spoiling" Buffy with shopping, since "at least when she was burning stuff down [he] knew what to say". In her eighteenth birthday, Hank cancelled an ice show with Buffy, a previous yearly tradition, promising he would make it up with her. Later in the same year, Buffy went to Los Angeles to see her father.
During Joyce's sickness and following death, Buffy tried to contact Hank leaving "messages all over the place," with no response; at the time, the last she'd heard from him was that he was in Spain with his secretary. During Buffy's death, though, Dawn indicated she had spoken with him, but hiding her sister's absence in fear she'd be taken away. Buffy established Hank as a "shiftless and absentee father" .
When Buffy was stabbed with a demon skewer, it gave her visions of being a patient in a mental asylum, in which her last years as a Slayer in Sunnydale were part of her delusion. In Asylum Buffy's world, Hank and Joyce were together and deeply caring for their sole daughter.
Five years later, Hank had started working at the Silicon Valley and reunited with his daughters in San Francisco. He has left Francesca and is currently engaged to Paige, who is also the mother of two teenagers and has moved with him. In one of his monthly reunions with Buffy and Dawn, he announced he and Paige have decided to exclude Buffy from their wedding ceremony "for safety reasons," based on her public reputation as a Slayer, which enraged Dawn and saddened Buffy.
Behind the Scenes
- He was portrayed by Dean Butler.
- "Witch" (Only mentioned)
- "Prophecy Girl" (Only mentioned)
- "When She Was Bad"
- "What's My Line, Part One" (Only mentioned)
- "Ted" (Only mentioned)
- "Killed by Death" (Only mentioned)
- "Becoming, Part One" (Only voice during flashback)
- "Homecoming" (Only mentioned)
- "Lovers Walk" (Only mentioned)
- "Helpless" (Only mentioned)
- "Choices" (Only mentioned)
- "Living Conditions" (Only mentioned)
- "Fear, Itself" (Only mentioned)
- "I Will Remember You" (Only mentioned)
- "Something Blue" (Only mentioned)
- "Family"(Only mentioned)
- "Blood Ties" (Only mentioned)
- "Forever" (Only mentioned)
- "Tough Love" (Only mentioned)
- "The Weight of the World" (Only in dreams)
- "Bargaining, Part One" (Only mentioned)
- "Life Serial" (Only mentioned)
- "Normal Again" (Only in hallucinations)
- "Help" (Only mentioned)
- "Conversations with Dead People" (Only mentioned)
- Power of Persuasion
- How I Survived My Summer Vacation
- The Origin
- Viva Las Buffy
- Slayer, Interrupted
- A Stake to the Heart
- New Rules, Part Four (Only mentioned)
- I Wish, Part One (in visions)
- Freaky Giles Day
- Triggers (Only mentioned)
- A House Divided (Only mentioned)