| The subject of this article is non-canonical.|
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse.
|Happy New Year|
|Publication date||January 27, 1999|
|Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic #5|
New Kid on the Block, Part One
|Published by||Dark Horse Comics|
|Cover artist(s)|| Randy Green,|
Rick Ketcham &
Happy New Year is the fifth issue of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic series.
This New Year's Eve is going to be one to remember for the town of Sunnydale. When a cursed Puritan rolls into town, looking to break a hex placed on him centuries before, trouble follows: in the form of a giant Hellhound! Mania and mayhem ensue! Continue the adventures of the hit television show every month from Dark Horse Comics.
- As this story takes place at New Year's Eve, it's before the Christmas episode "Amends" and after the return to school in "Gingerbread".
- Cordelia Chase
- Nathaniel Filmer
- Robert Filmer (Only mentioned)
- Rupert Giles
- Xander Harris
- Ben Johnson (Only in flashbacks)
- Mariana Johnson (Only in flashbacks)
- Daniel Osbourne
- Willow Rosenberg
- Buffy Summers
Organizations and Titles
- New Year's Eve
Weapons and Objects
- De Praesigis Daemonum (book)
- Dictionaire Inferal (book)
- Witch Trials of the New World (book)
- Witchcraft and Demonology: The Idiot's Guide to Alchemy (book)
Rituals and Spells
- Black-dog curse (Only mentioned)
- Hellhound curse (Only in flashbacks)
- Mariana and Ben Johnson, burnt at the stake for witchcraft (in flashback).
- Nathaniel Filmer and Mangus, fell from a church tower.
Behind the Scenes
- The photo cover features a promotional still taken from episode "Welcome to the Hellmouth".
- Differently from other representations, at this point the comic issues had vampires also able to transform into green creatures with red eyes, pointy ears, a wide mouth, and long teeth.
Goofs, Bloopers & Continuity Errors
- Sunnydale is mistakenly written as "Sunnyvale" in some dialogues.
- The Bronze, differently from the TV show, appears as a large building in city centre, and has a sign identifying it as "Bronze Club".
Pop Culture References
- Buffy says "American werewolf in Sunnydale" in a reference to the movie An American Werewolf in London (1981).
- Xander mentions the romance writer Jackie Collins.
- Giles owns a copy of the book Malleus Maleficarum (1486).
- Xander mentions the reality television series When Animals Attack!.