The Hunga Munga was an African tribal weapon. It was a handheld weapon which had four blades; three of which were fairly straight and pointed in all opposing directions, forward up and back. The final and largest blade located above the forward facing straight blade was curved and turned to meet the top blade.
The weapon could be used in hand-to-hand combat although it was typically thrown with a spinning action.
The Hunga Munga was one of the weapons employed by the Family Home enslavers who lured homeless teenagers into their dimension and enslaved them.
Behind the Scenes
- The Hunga Munga appears in every episode in the opening credits from Season 3 to 5 as it uses the shot of Buffy wielding one during "Anne".
- It appeared in two Buffyverse season premieres.
- It also appeared in one episode of Angel.
- In Medieval Times the weapon was referred to as a "Hurl Bat" because on the battle field it could be thrown and have virtually every edge cause damage.
- The name Hunga-Munga and the design of the weapon used on Buffy and Angel is Nigerian.
- The Hunga-Munga fell out of use as a weapon in Nigeria and was, for a short period of time, used instead as currency.