|"Live Through This, Part Two"|
|Publication date||September 28, 2011|
|Angel & Faith #2|
"Live Through This, Part One"
"Live Through This, Part Three"
|Published by||Dark Horse Comics|
|Editor(s)||Scott Allie & Sierra Hahn|
|Cover artist(s)|| Steve Morris|
Rebekah Isaacs & Dan Jackson
|Letterer(s)||Richard Starkings & Jimmy Betancourt|
"Live Through This, Part Two" is the second issue of the Angel & Faith comic book series.
Faith, Nadira, and a squad of slayers are fighting vampires on the street. One has a briefcase and a machine gun, and wounds Nadira's leg when she separates from the group - against Faith's order - to chase him. He is decapitated by Angel before he can do any more damage, but Faith is trying to finish off her own opponent, the demon Baphon, before Nadira can help - because she believes she was too angry to be effective. The demon takes off with his briefcase and the slayers regroup.
They find a bottle of smelly green liquid in the case, and Faith takes it away to ask around, dodging around the issue of who saved Nadira. When she rejoins Angel, she tells him it was stupid to get near someone who wants to kill him, and then confronts him about his crazy idea to bring Giles back from a natural death. They hash out the particulars—Angel claims that the key was in Giles' magic-immersed life, which he hopes would leave a spiritual connection that can allow the soul to be returned to the body.
Faith isn't buying it and Angel can tell, but she does see how this is the only thing motivating his recuperation, and also, as his friend, she doesn't want to abandon him. When Angel's about to leave, weapon in hand, she goes with him, claiming she's just "wingman for a night".
Demontown is a bar where demons are fighting each other for bragging rights, trying to establish a new hierarchy amongst themselves now that magic is gone. Angel finds a demon called Kuurth and asks him about business - specifically, his business of "selling body parts to rich scumbags". Kuurth corrects him, saying they'd moved on to a higher class of business, but wouldn't say more, so Faith attacks him, and a full-on bar fight breaks out.
Faith and Angel leave bruised and bloody and Kuurth appears to have escaped, but Angel said he can track him by scent. As they hunt him down, Faith shows some concern about the way Angel didn't seem to feel anything when he fought. They find Kuurth meeting up with Baphon, asking him for a "dose". The demon gives him the green vial and he pours it over his back, and his third arm - which Angel ripped off during the fight - instantly grows back. Faith and Angel observe, unseen, from the rooftop.
Angel explains Mohra blood to Faith, touching briefly on his own experience with it , but focusing on how it can be used to restore Giles' body. He asks if she is with him after which they leap into the lair brandishing their weapons. Angel says that Baphon's power is in its horns, so he lops them off, and Faith thinks about how excited his new purpose - and her apparent cooperation - is making him.
Faith accidentally incinerates the table holding the Mohra blood, but Angel says there must be more where that came from, because it deteriorates when exposed to open air, so the dealers must be getting it fresh. He pins the hornless Baphon against a wall and demands to know where they get it, and he says he will tell.
Faith remembers a conversation she had with Giles, not so long ago. She was looking for a way to bring back the man she killed - Professor Worth, not the Deputy Mayor - and he told her would know if there was a way, and there wasn't. He also dispensed some wisdom about guilt and atonement. Back in the present, Faith hopes that she can keep Angel out of trouble, but she doesn't try to convince him that he's on a fool's errand.
- Angel touched very briefly to Faith on his experience with Mohra Demon blood in "I Will Remember You", omitting Buffy's involvement in it completely but mentally recalling it.
- In a flashback, Faith laments to Giles over her guilt of murdering Lester Worth in "Graduation Day, Part One" and shows flippancy over the first man she killed, Allan Finch, in "Bad Girls". Her talk with Giles clearly took place somewhere between "No Future For You" and Retreat.
- After Cordelia's death in "You're Welcome", it's revealed that Angel had tried to resurrect her, but Wolfram & Hart's sources were far too unreliable and volatile.
- During her talk with Giles in the flashbacks, Faith mentioned how Sunnydale is still a hole in the ground since "Chosen".
- Angel (Also in flashbacks)
- Faith (Also in flashbacks)
- Buffy Summers (Only in flashbacks)
- Rupert Giles (Only in flashbacks)
- Allan Finch (Only mentioned)
- Professor Worth (Only mentioned)
- Mal Fraser (only mentioned)
- Cordelia Chase (only mentioned)
- Reggie Banks (Only mentioned)
Organizations and Titles
- London, England
- Wolfram & Hart (only mentioned)
- Sunnydale, California (mentioned in flashbacks)
Weapons and Objects
- One vampire, beheaded by Angel.
- Unidentified demon, axed by Faith.
- Unidentified gas demon, set on fire by Faith.
- Unidentified demon, neck snapped by Angel.
Behind the Scenes
Pop Culture References
- When discussing resurrection, Faith said Angel had everyone at "Jacoby, Meyers, and Satan" working for him in Wolfram & Hart. Jacoby & Meyers is a popular law office all over the world.
- Kuurth jokingly commented that it was good he stopped being Twilight, as "the bird who writes the goth romances is litigious." Twilight" is a popular romance novel series, written by Stephanie Meyer.
- Angel compared Mal Fraser as "a half demon John Gotti without the fashion sense", referring to a Italian-American mobster. He also referenced Yakuza, the Japanese mafia.
- Kuurth mentioned Friendster, a global website that emphasizes friendship when he denied giving Angel information.
|Faith - "That was stupid. Nadira wants to kill you."|
|Angel - "If I avoided people who want to kill me, I'd never leave the house."|
|Angel - "Faith, I know you think I lost it. That's okay. I don't need you to believe me. But I do need your help."|
|Faith - [thoughts] "He thinks he can fix the worst thing he ever did. I convince him he's wrong, I take away his reason to exist."|
|Angel - "Just come with me. For now. Give me a chance to show you it can work."|
|Faith - [thoughts] "But what's my Plan B? Walk away? Or ride shotgun on his crazy train? I just got my life back together. What happens when he goes off the rails? Except he was there for my crash and burns. Pulling me from the wreckage when everyone else was toasting marshmallows. What kind of friend would I be if I'm not there for his?"|
|Faith - "Okay, I missed an episode. These guys are selling juice that grows back people's arms?"|
|Angel - "Not just arms. That was the blood of a Mohra Demon. It can regenerate any organ. Any wound. Even necrotic tissue."|
|Faith - "You saying it could raise the dead? Ain't that kind of a leap?"|
|Angel - "I've seen Mohra blood bring a dead body to life. Mine."|
|Faith - "I missed a whole damn season."|
|Angel - "It made me human again... Made me normal... I undid it. I can't do what I have to if I'm... Y'know what, it's not important. The point is, it works."|
|Faith - "Screw the deputy Mayor. The time I did was enough for a sleazoid like that. I don't even think about him."|
|Giles - "Ah, of course. I'd nearly forgotten about Professor Worth."|
|Faith - "You and everyone else. Except me. And his daughter. Even with Sunnydale just a hole in the ground, she still visits. Drops flowers in."|
|Giles - "Faith ... I could make excuses. Say that you were mentally unstable when you killed him. But it wouldn't change the fact that you killed an innocent man. It likely also will not help to know that there are others who live with the same guilt. There are things we can't undo. Mistakes we can't unmake. We can punish ourselves for them in pointless, indulgent ways. Acts that serve no purpose beyond wallowing in self-pity. Or we can try and atone for them. Not to erase what we did. Not to justify the unjustifiable. But to counter the evil we've done with a lifetime of good."|
|Faith - [thoughts] "I tell Angel he's nuts, he goes off on his own. A lose cannon. Aimed at himself. Figured I'd go along ... keep him out of trouble 'till I can find a way to make him give up this snipe hunt. But he's not gonna. Angel's saved the world five or six times. Spent two lifetimes doing good. He made up for what he did to Giles before he ever did it. But he's still a vampire with a soul. A monster who hates himself for being a monster. He's never gonna let himself off the hook. Unless I make him."|