- “Don't you understand? I've killed dozens of Slayers. Your life is not a blink of my eye, not a single breath. I have lived in the shadows, in the pulsing filth behind men's eyes. I have conversed with the worms that fed on my corpse and I have bathed in the blood of emperors.”
- ―Lothos to Buffy Summers[src]
Lothos was a vampire king based in Los Angeles, allegedly around eight centuries old and claimed to have been responsible for the deaths of dozens of Slayers. Having tracked the latest Slayer—the newly-called Buffy Summers—he attempted to capture her Watcher, Merrick, to learn who she was, but Merrick committed suicide rather than risk giving away vital information. Unfortunately, one of Lothos's new subjects was a classmate of Buffy's in life, and was thus able to direct Lothos to the gym where Buffy's school dance was taking place. In a final confrontation outside the gym, Buffy torched Lothos by tricking him into touching a cross—subsequently using her hairspray as a makeshift flamethrower—and then staking him, proclaiming his defeat as being both for Merrick and for the girl she'd been before becoming the Slayer.
Powers and Abilities
Lothos was a powerful and ancient vampire, having killed numerous Slayers troughout his undead life. Also, due to his advanced age, his "vamp face'" was much more monstrous, with a distorted mouth full of razor sharp fangs.
Enhanced vampire abilities — His age granted him physical abilities superior to other vampires.
Hypnosis — He possessed the power of hypnosis which he used to paralize Buffy. This made her pause for a few seconds before she was somehow able to overcome his power, something one had never done before.
- The Bar Maiden slayer in 1347-1351
- Dark Ages slayer in the 16th century
- Winifred Smith the Virginia Slave slayer in 1715
- Hong Kong prostitute slayer in the 18th century
- Magyar Peasant slayer
- Indian Princess slayer in the late 19th century
- Hungarian Slayer in mid-to-late 20th century (trained by Merrick)
- Another slayer in mid-to-late 20th century (also trained by Merrick)
- Attempted to kill Buffy Summers in late 20th century
Behind the Scenes
- Lothos is portrayed by Rutger Hauer in the 1992 film.
- In both the film and the comic, Lothos possesses the power of hypnosis.