Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "For he shall rise from the depths and we shall tremble before him. He who is the source of all we inherit and all we possess. Machida!"
- ―Tom Warner[src]
Machida was an enormous snake-like demon worshiped by the members of the Delta Zeta Kappa fraternity. He dwelled in a chasm in the basement of the fraternity house and fed on young women, as Buffy Summers and Cordelia Chase experienced. Buffy finally killed him by separating him from his snake-like tail with a ritual sword she aquired from the fratboys.
Machida had a humanoid upper body and a long serpentine tail for a lower body, the full length of which remained inside the chasm and was never exposed. His face, most notably his nostrils, had serpentine features. His mouth appeared to be stretchable, and he had pointed teeth. His body was covered with yellowish-green scales. His arms were webbed to his torso. Machida had clawed fingers.
Machida fed on girls offered as a sacrifice by the fraternity in return for immense wealth and protection. The feeding had a structured cycle—the demon had to be fed on the tenth day of the tenth month every year. Once his followers have secured the sacrifices, they would invoke him to come forth. When Richard tried to abuse a drugged and unconscious Buffy, he was prevented from it by Tom, so this may imply that Machida can only consume virgins.
Behind the scenes
- He was portrayed by Robin Atkin Downes.
- In the original shooting script, Machida regenerated from his wounds and confronted Tom. Furious at their failure to sacrifice Buffy, Cordelia, and Callie Anderson, Machida vows never to help the Delta Zeta Kappas again and departs, but not before grabbing Tom and devouring him. Willow later expresses a fear that they will encounter Machida again.
- A demon, with a similar head, is present in auctions in "Parting Gifts" and another was one of customers in the Caritas in "Judgment".
- Robin Atkin Downes played also the Pockla Demon.
- The series would later feature another demon reminiscent of Machida. The demon was worshipped by men, who offered human sacrifices to him in exchange for wealth. Both of them had their own respective summoning rituals.