|New Rules, Part One|
|Publication date||March 19, 2014|
|Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Ten #1|
first issue in series
New Rules, Part Two
|Published by||Dark Horse Comics|
|Cover artist(s)|| Steve Morris|
Rebekah Isaacs &
Rebekah Isaacs &
|Letterer(s)|| Richard Starkings &|
New Rules, Part One is the first issue of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Ten comic book series. It was written by Christos Gage and illustrated by Rebekah Isaacs. Joss Whedon is the executive producer.
New season. New rules. The age-old battle of Slayer vs. vampire is the focus of Buffy’s life once again — it’s downright nostalgic! But with all the toying with magic she’s done lately, this girl should know it’s time for another game change… Shouldn’t she?
The immediate aftermath of accelerating the maturation of the new Seed of Wonder and restoring magic back to the world finds Buffy and the Scoobies in Santa Rosita, California slaying zompires. A new vampire named Vicki shows up to help Buffy with the zompire problem and once all zompires are slain Vicki and her crew of new vampires plan to turn on Buffy. In the midst of a heated battle Spike shows up to assist while Willow magically teleports two civilians named Abby and Zoey Miller to Dawn and Andrew who annoys Dawn with the phase "Come with me if you want to live" every time they rescue people.
Willow states that the new magic is different and she can’t not perform another while casting a force field around Santa Rosita to keep the remaining zompires in and Buffy leads the others to Xander’s trap consisting of tanning beds. While Xander puts the finishing touches on his trap he mentions how strained his relationship with Dawn is to Anya, and guesses she’s haunting him as a spirit. Buffy and others arrive and Xander’s trap is a success while Anaheed congratulates the Scoobies.
The big battle between Buffy, Vicki and the remaining zompires goes on well into sunrise when Vicki and her crew reveal that not only are they immune to sunlight but also tougher to stake. Buffy and crew are overwhelmed by Vicki’s forces until the timely arrival of Faith, Giles, Kennedy, Holly, and Leah. Together they manage to beat down Vicki’s crew until Vicki calls a retreat.
- The Scooby Gang is at Santa Rosita dealing with the zompire crisis seen in Love vs. Life.
- Buffy mentions "old boyfriends turning into mad gods" in reference to Angel and Twilight (Season Eight).
- Buffy recalls giving magic back to the Earth, stopping an apocalypse, and saving Dawn (The Core, Part Five).
- Buffy feels nostalgic "slaying the undead so they don’t overrun a suburban California town," as she did for seven years in Sunnydale ("Welcome to the Hellmouth" to "Chosen").
- The Scoobies are first introduced to the vampire change caused by the recreation of the Seed of Wonder, as well as the first new vampire, awaken in The Core, Part Five.
- Vicki mentions the existence of zompires as caused by Buffy who "wrecked magic" (Last Gleaming, Part Five).
- Vicki provokes Buffy about her "traditional slayer/vampire dynamic," in reference to the Slayer’s past relationship with vampires Angel and Spike.
- Buffy misses Giles, recalling getting "our father figure killed" (Last Gleaming, Part Five).
- Spike mentions riding New York City subways in the seventies, as seen in "Fool for Love".
- Andrew tells Abby and Zoey about Spike getting his soul ("Grave").
- Xander "is talking to the ghost of [his] dead ex-fiancee;" Anya was last seen when she died in "Chosen".
- Anya mentions being left at the altar, in "Hell’s Bells," and getting killed, in "Chosen."
- Spike mentions "fighting hordes of feral vampires" and "bursting into flame at the end," in reference to the events in "Chosen."
- Buffy says she’s been dusting vampires longer than she’s been driving, as she dusted her first vampire at fifteen year old ("The Origin").
- Andrew compares the new vampires abilities to Toru’s pack’s, seen in "Wolves at the Gate."
- Willow recalls that Dracula taught her how to reverse Toru’s pack spell (Wolves at the Gate, Part Three).
- Buffy reflects on the Scooby Gang falling apart since Giles first left for England ("Tabula Rasa").
- Buffy and Faith meet for the first time since Giles’ death, as do Willow and Kennedy after their break-up (Last Gleaming, Part Five).
- Leah, last seen as part of the Slayer Organization (Last Gleaming, Part Four), is revealed to be currently working for Deepscan.
- Giles finally reunites with the Scoobies after his resurrection (What You Want, Not What You Need, Part Two).
- Angel (Only mentioned)
- Dracula (Only mentioned)
- Rupert Giles
- Xander Harris
- Anya Jenkins (Only mentioned)
- Faith Lehane
- Billy Lane
- Mrs. Miller (Only mentioned)
- Abby Miller
- Zoey Miller
- Willow Rosenberg
- Buffy Summers
- Dawn Summers
- Joyce Summers (Only mentioned)
- Hank Summers (Only mentioned)
- Andrew Wells
Organization and Titles
Weapons and Objects
- Unknown number of zompires, killed by the Scooby Gang and Vicki’s gang of new vampires.
- Unknown number of new vampires, killed by the Scooby Gang.
Behind the Scenes
- Christos Gage and Rebekah Isaacs debuts on Buffy the Vampire Slayer comics, having worked in previous season as the main artistic team for Angel & Faith.
- Rebekah Isaacs’s ultravariant cover connects to Where The River Meets The Sea, Part One’s.
- This issue is a crossover with Angel & Faith Season 10 issue Where The River Meets The Sea, Part One, sharing the scene of the encounter between Giles and the Scooby Gang from Faith’s point of view.
- This issue has an exclusive cover for WonderCon 2014, by artist Brian Horton.
- This issue has an exclusive cover for Emerald City Comic Con 2014, by artist Phil Noto.
- New Rules, Part One was the 75º best selling comic issue in its publishing month, with 27,851 sales in March 2014 at comic specialty stores.
Pop Culture References
- Buffy mentions the novel You Can’t Go Home Again (1940).
- Vicki wears a shirt with the logo for Ghost of the Robot band, of which James Marsters is a member.
- Vicki mentions William Shakespeare.
- Spike references Admiral Ackbar due to its famous quote “It’s a trap!”.
- Andrew quotes “Come with me if you want to live,” from Terminator franchise.
- Xander and Anya have a discussion about Pete’s Dragon.
- Andrew compares being green with envy to the character Hulk.
- An unidentified new vampire ironically calls Willow an “Einstein” in reference to the theoretical physicist.
|Buffy - "This is an 'Enemy of my Enemy' kinda deal. You and your pointy-toothed posse came to me.|
|Vicki - "Our town's infested with these mindless animals 'cause you wrecked magic. Your mess - your cleanup."|
|Buffy - "I kinda hoped bringing magic back would get people to stop with the shaming."|
|Buffy - "Seriously? 'Vicki the Vampire'?"|
|Vicki - "Right. Because 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' is downright Shakespearean.|
|Buffy - "Thanks, Spike. Sorry I'm being all mean girl. I just know I'm gonna have to stake her when this is over and I don't wanna feel like a backstabber. Front-stabber. Is that horrible?"|
|Spike - "More like common sense."|
|Xander - "So I'm not making this up, right? I'm not just being crazy?"|
|Anya - "Well, you're talking to the ghost of your ex-fiancé. So that's kind of a loaded question."|
|Xander - "Here they come. Anya, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but can you go back to your magic lamp or…"|
|Anya - "They can't see me. I'm like Pete's Dragon."|
|Xander - "Some people could see Pete's Dragon. There was that drunk lighthouse keeper."|
|Anya - "You realize I'm probably a sign of a brain tumor or encroaching mental illness. People seeing me is the last of your worries."|
|Xander - "Fine, but my relationship is hanging by a thread here, so…"|
|Anya - "Oh, sure. God forbid the woman who gave up her vengeance-demon powers for you only to be left at the altar and eventually killed inconvenience you romantically."|
|Andrew - "If I were any greener with envy, I'd be gamma irradiated. Billy just decided to live the life he wanted, to hell with convention or rules. And he was accepted."|
|Dawn - "Oh my God, Andrew, you could totally do the same thing. Why would you think for a second you wouldn't be accepted?"|
|Andrew - "You really think I could be a Slayer?"|
|Dawn - "A…Slayer. Of course I do. Because that's what you meant. And me too!"|
|Faith - "Ain't that just typical. If it's not in the states, it doesn't exist to you people. Broaden your horizons a little."|
|Buffy - "Faith? How'd you – you're in London!"|
|Faith - "'Bout a hundred years ago, a couple dudes invented a machine that flies. Kennedy's got one that goes wicked fast."|
|Buffy - "What the what? Faith – I don't care if he knows magic, you can't bring a kid here."|
|Willow - "And tell him you don't need to cast spells in languages anymore."|
|Giles - "I'm sure that's lovely for those of you who never bothered to master the correct pronunciation…despite my best efforts. But as long as I know Latin, I'll use it, thank you very much."|
|Willow - "Oh my God. Giles?"|
|Buffy - "Giles?"|
|Giles - "Hello."|