|"New Rules, Part Two"|
|Publication date||April 23, 2014|
|Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Ten #2|
"New Rules, Part One"
"New Rules, Part Three"
|Published by||Dark Horse Comics|
|Cover artist(s)|| Steve Morris|
Rebekah Isaacs & Dan Jackson
|Letterer(s)||Richard Starkings & Jimmy Betancourt|
The Scoobies are back – including li’l Giles! Revelations about a new kind of vampire menace and the blank Vampyr book have only just begun. Everyone has a job to do, and for Buffy, it’s treading the road of past relationships! Lucky girl…
The Scoobies are fighting Vicki and her Evolved Vampire species, while Kennedy and Willow are fighting the rest. Vicki suddenly calls a retreat by pushing a car, and the Scoobies are happy that Giles has returned once more to the Scoobies, but as a child. Faith and the rest of Deepscan are leaving, but Giles asks Faith if this is what she wants, and she's ok with it. The Nitobe Demon, Eldre Koh retreats as well. Anaheed and Billy Lane returned prepared for the vampires, while Andrew believes that there are new rules for the new Seed, Giles explains he thinks its ridiculous. Buffy opens the van to get the Vampyr to show Giles how it Is completely blank. However, when he suddenly opens it, it has newly written pages.
The Scooby Gang takes off on a plane, while Giles observes the newly written pages, when he seemingly tells Buffy that the tome was originally written to create the rules of magic. When they return home, Giles is annoyed buy everyone's questions, when Buffy suddenly realizes Dowling is in the hospital and that they must find the being giving these Shapeshifting power to these New Vampires, when she believes it is Dracula. Buffy asks Xander if he can visit him; when Xander says yes, he also asks Buffy for Dawn to come with him.
Buffy and Spike are walking to Dowling's home, when he answers, he talks alone with Buffy; he explains they must just stay friends and not see each other for now. While Buffy is telling Spike about what he said, he enlightens her to feel good.
Meanwhile, Xander and Dawn are flying to Dracula's Castle. Xander enters the bathroom, telling himself that Dawn will break up with him soon as she finds out he betrayed Buffy. Anya appears, reminding him of his situations and their marriage ending. When she says she is sorry, she asks Xander to talk to her. When Dawn and Xander return to Dracula's Castle, he explains he loves Dawn when Dracula suddenly opens the door; when Xander rushes in acting as Bad Cop, Dracula smiles and Xander calls him "Master".
- Faith questions Buffy who would turn a job at Deepscan, who agrees awkwardly, in reference to Buffy herself quitting Deepscan in Guarded, Part Three.
- Giles stays with the Scooby Gang in the United States, as he expressed his wishes to Faith in What You Want, Not What You Need, Part Five.
- Buffy introduces Eldre Koh, Devon, Anaheed, and Billy Lane to Giles, as she had only met them while he was dead.
- Buffy recalls Illyria's sacrifice, from The Core, Part Five.
- Buffy compares new vampires' abilities to Toru's pack, seen in "Wolves at the Gate."
- Andrew expresses knowledge about Billy's vision of Sineya (Love vs. Life).
- Giles describes the Vampyr to Buffy as "the book I left you," as she inherited it in Last Gleaming, Part Five.
- Buffy mentions finding the Vampyr with blank pages after returning from the Deeper Well, as seen in The Core, Part Five.
- Buffy recalls not reading the Vampyr when Giles wanted her to, as mentioned in "What's My Line, Part Two."
- Buffy recalls her "slay-date" with Dowling and not seen him since then (Welcome to the Team, Part One).
- Buffy says that Xander and Dawn haven't a quiet time since the Scooby Gang saved her, which happened in The Core, Part Five.
- Dowling reveals Billy told him about Dawn's sickness and Santa Rosita's zompire crisis, which he witnesses in The Core, Part One and Love vs. Life.
- Buffy tells Dowling about her relationship with Riley, ended in "Into the Woods."
- Buffy mentions her relationship with Spike, ended in "As You Were."
- Dracula appears for the first time after 'Wolves at the Gate, Part Four'.
- Anya mentions Xander abandoning her ("Hell's Bells") and getting her killed ("Chosen").
- Xander and Dracula's reunion mimics their scene in Wolves at the Gate, Part One, in which Dracula opens the door, interrupting Xander's conversation with his love interest (Renee and Dawn), greets him "Hello, manservant" and "Hello, peasant"), until finally Xander doesn't resist calling him "Master."
- Dracula recalls Xander's request on not being called "manservant" anymore (Wolves at the Gate, Part Four).
- Buffy Summers
- Willow Rosenberg
- Xander Harris
- Rupert Giles
- Dawn Summers
- Andrew Wells
- Faith Lehane
- Eldre Koh
- Robert Dowling
- Billy Lane
- Angel (Only mentioned)
- Anya Jenkins (Only mentioned)
- Illyria (Only mentioned)
- Toru's vampire pack (Only mentioned)
- Sineya (Only mentioned)
- Riley Finn (Only mentioned)
- Three Sisters (Only mentioned)
Organization and Titles
- Santa Rosita, USA
- Santa Rosita Regional Airport
- San Francisco, USA
- Transylvania, Romania
- London, England (Only mentioned)
- Deeper Well (Only mentioned)
Weapons and Objects
- Molotov cocktail
- Seed of Wonder (Only mentioned)
Behind the Scenes
- This issue has an exclusive cover for Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo 2014, by artist Aly Fell.
- This issue is a crossover with Angel & Faith Season Ten issue Where the River Meets the Sea, Part Two.
Pop Culture References
- Faith calls Giles "Mr. Freaky Friday" in reference to the Freaky Friday story about mother and daughter changing bodies.
- Xander mentions that the vampires were morphing like the T-1000, from Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
- Andrew calls Giles the "Charlie" to their "Angels," referencing the television show Charlie's Angels.
- Xander calls Giles the "Gandalf" to their "Hobbits," referencing The Lord of the Rings.
- Dowling has a fridge magnet with the logo of the band Nirvana.
- Xander wears his coat with a Hellboy's B.P.R.D. patch.
- At Dracula's castle, Dawn asks if it is "like in the novel".
|Giles - “They’re still vulnerable to stakes and fire! Their bodies just seem a bit sturdier. Extra effort is called for.”|
|Xander - “Yeah – zits and squeaky voice aside, that some vintage Giles exposition.”|
|Vicki - “We’re losing too many. And there aren’t enough of us yet. I’m calling a retreat.”|
|Buffy - “Hey. Vicki the Vampire. You don’t get to start a rumble, then run when it goes our way.”|
|Andrew - “Um, alternate suggestion? Let her run.”|
|Willow - “I can’t believe Angel pulled it off. There’s always so much that can go wrong with a resurrection.”|
|Giles - “It was hardly without complications, but yes…I’m back. And, if you’ll have me…back to stay.”|
|Buffy - “Say ‘if’ again and I’ll take you over my knee.”|
|Giles - “That’s ridiculous, Andrew. Only Slayers may commune with the primitive, and only females can be Slayers.”|
|Devon - “Oh yeah? Well, I’m his Watcher, and I say Billy broke the mold. Who are you, kid?”|
|Giles - “I am Rupert Giles, young man. The last of the Watchers’ Council. And you sir, are no Watcher.”|
|Giles - “Buffy, the book I left you – Vampyr. I trust you still have it. I’d like to see if there’s precedent for this.”|
|Buffy - “Yeah, uh…that’s kind of a funny story. When we got back from the deeper well, I figured maybe it was time I actually read the thing. All the pages were blank.”|
|Giles - “All? Are you certain?”|
|Buffy - “I triple checked. Every single one.”|
|Giles - “How odd. Because some no longer remain so.”|
|Anya - “Gee, that must be horrible, the person you love deciding they don’t want to be with you anymore. And could there be a worse time and place to tell someone than this…? Wait. Yes.”|
|Xander - “Okay! I get it. There’s some karmic scale-balancing going on. I guess you haunting me and reminding me of my sins every two seconds wasn’t in your face enough.”|