| The subject of this article is non-canonical.|
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse.
|Note from the Underground, Part Four|
|Publication date||October 30, 2002|
|Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic #50|
Note from the Underground, Part Three
|Published by||Dark Horse Comics|
|Writer(s)|| Scott Lobdell &|
|Cover artist(s)|| Brian Horton &|
Note from the Underground, Part Four, also known as Hellmouth to Mouth, Part Four, is the fiftieth issue of the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic" series. It was written by Scott Lobdell and Fabian Nicieza and illustrated by Cliff Richards. It contains a short prose story, The First Time, written by Fabian Nicieza and illustrated by Paul Lee, and a short comic story, Mall Rats, written and illustrated by Andi Watson.
"Hellmouth to Mouth" concludes as Buffy finally rescues Xander and Dawn from the crew that's nearly destroyed Sunnydale – The Scourge! They soon find that the only thing worse than the Scourge is their secret leader, revealed this issue! Buffy's not just fighting for her friends' and family's lives, she's fighting for a chance to live her own life, to be more than a fearless vampire hunter. Who better to have backing her up than former sadistic Slayer Faith and the vampire hunting vampire himself, Angel?!
- A flashback includes Buffy battling Adam in "Primeval."
- A vision of Spike appears on the cell he was locked in the Initiative ("The Initiative").
- Buffy mentions Spike's been gone for weeks, in reference to his departure after "Seeing Red."
- Buffy has visions of her time working in the Initiative with Riley ("The I in Team").
- Buffy mentions the Initiative was supposed to be filled with concrete, as proposed by the government in "Primeval."
- Dawn recognizes Pike, who notices she's gotten tall, as they must've met each other before "Viva Las Buffy!".
- Xander tells Anya he and Faith have had sex once ("The Zeppo"), but he tried to kill him afterwards ("Consequences").
- Angel reveals to Dawn and Buffy about his son, Connor.
- Pike begins telling his time with Buffy is Las Vegas ("Viva Las Buffy!").
- Alexa Landry (Only in flashbacks)
- Anya Jenkins
- Buffy Summers
- Connor (Only mentioned)
- Dawn Summers
- Faith Lehane
- Glorificus (Only in flashbacks)
- The Gentlemen (Only in flashbacks)
- Hiram (Only in flashbacks)
- Karfarnaum (Only in flashbacks)
- Ky-laag (Only in flashbacks)
- Lyle Gorch
- The Master (Only in flashbacks)
- Maggie Walsh (Only mentioned)
- Richard Wilkins (Only in flashbacks)
- Riley Finn (Only in visions)
- Spike (Only in visions)
- Ted Buchanan (Only in flashbacks)
- Vraka (Only in flashbacks)
- Xander Harris
- Xerxes (Only in flashbacks)
- Yuki Makimura (Only in flashbacks)
Organizations and Titles
Weapons and Objects
Behind the Scenes
- The title is a reference to the novella Notes from the Underground (1864).
- This issue has a wraparound cover by Brian Horton and Paul Lee; the back is a homage to Normal Rockwell's painting "No Swimming," while the front, commemorating the 50th issue, includes Spike with a noisemaker in reference to Rockwell's pipe.
- The photo cover has a promotional picture for Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 3.
- This publishing includes the short story "Mall Rats" and the prose piece "The First Time."
- This issue concludes the last story in continuity with the TV Show.
Pop Culture References
- Faith mentions the Western film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969).
- Xander compares Anya's quote to Martha Stewart's books.
- Xander talks in Pig Latin.
- Buffy compares Adam to the toy Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots.
- Buffy mentions A&E televisions series Biography.