- "The Old Ones were demons pure. They warred as we would breathe—endlessly. The greater ones were interred, for death was not always their end."
- "This world is older than any of you know. Contrary to popular mythology, it did not begin as a paradise. For untold eons demons walked the Earth. They made it their home, their... their Hell. But in time they lost their purchase on this reality. The way was made for mortal animals, for, for man. All that remains of the Old Ones are vestiges, certain magics, certain creatures..."
- ―Rupert Giles[src]
The Old Ones were brought forth from another, more horrific, dimension during the creation of Earth through the Seed of Wonder. They shared the Earth with fellow higher beings which would come to be known as The Powers That Be. The rise of the Old Ones led the Powers to flee this world, while the demons became rulers of vast territories, commanded enormous armies that worshiped them as gods and constantly made war against each other, turning the Earth into their hell. This ancient epoch was known as the Primordium Age, and it is likely that the Primordial Sanskrit language was from this time.
- "There were demons, monsters beyond imagination, most of them pure evil. They ruled this dimension as they did so many others. [...] Eventually, as mortal animals evolved, under the protection of certain mages and loranites-- [...] The demons, most of them, found more hospitable dimen... places, and left the Earth to the mortals. For the most part. Some remained, hidden away. Some bred within the human community, their power weakened throughout generations. Some assimilated. And some... infected."
The Old Ones eventually lost their claim over Earth. Some were killed in their own wars, while others either fled or were banished to other dimensions. It was believed that the rise of humankind was responsible for the demise of the Old Ones. Those who were killed were placed in sarcophagi which were hidden at the Deeper Well, a hole in the world running between England (in the Cotswolds) and New Zealand. The remains of the Old Ones were supposed to be kept there in order to prevent their resurrection, as not only their corpses but also their essences were trapped. According to the Guardians, the last Old One to walk the Earth was killed with the Scythe, at the Hellmouth that would come to be known as Sunnydale. Other records claimed that the last pure demon to leave Earth infected a human with its blood, creating the first vampire; however, Illyria implied that vampires already existed during the Primordium Age, lending doubt to this report.
- "All the demons that walk the Earth are tainted, are human hybrids like vampires. The Ascension means that a human becomes pure demon. They're different."
The demons that remained on Earth were forced to remain hidden and breed within mortal animals, creating weaker offspring as time went on. However, the legacy of the Old Ones remained not only in the form of the hundreds of demon species, but also in the form of cults that worshiped them, awaiting their return to bring about the destruction of mankind. These included the Order of Aurelius, led by the vampire Master, who tried to open the Sunnydale Hellmouth on several occasions to bring the Old Ones back to Earth. Mortal beings could even take on the physical form of an Old One through a complicated ritual known as the Ascension. They could also be reborn in mortal bodies, killing the hosts in the process; Illyria was resurrected in a human body in 2004.
- "The forces of darkness are always around us. Just beyond the edges of our vision, waiting for an opening... an opportunity to insinuate themselves into this world. Those who stand against the dark must band together, trust one another, and share what few simple weapons we have. The alternative... the disaster that would result if what lurks beyond should ever return-- well, it's simply... unimaginable."
- ―Rupert Giles[src]
Biology and Powers
Though each Old One had a different shape and powers, what they all shared in common was their enormous size. They were also vastly more powerful than even the strongest hybrid demon races that still walk the Earth.
Known Old Ones
- Hellmouth Spawn — When the Master opened the Sunnydale Hellmouth in 1997, this massive, tentacled demon was the first to emerge. When Slayer Buffy Summers killed the Master, the Hellmouth closed and the demon retreated. It was unleashed a second time in 1999 when the Sisterhood of Jhe opened the Hellmouth again.
- Olvikan — An enormous snake-like demon, Olvikan was killed by a volcano in Hawaii.; human villagers near the volcano site later told stories about the "legend of Olukai". In 1999, the human Richard Wilkins achieved Ascension and became the embodiment of Olvikan, but was soon killed in an explosion by Buffy Summers.
- Lohesh — Described as a "four winged soul killer", weaker descendants of Lohesh survived until the present day. Around 1200, a sorcerer in the Kastka Vallies above the Urals Ascended to the form of Lohesh. He laid waste to the village within hours. Anyanka was the only known witness to this event, and even hundreds of years later, the disturbing things she saw there stayed with her.
- Laibach of the Abyss — Spike was forced into resurrecting the Master or Laibach would kill Drusilla.
- Illyria's killers
- The Wolf, Ram and Hart
- "The Harvest"
- "Prophecy Girl"
- "The Zeppo"
- "Graduation Day, Part Two"
- Spike and Dru
- "Giles: Beyond the Pale
- Ready, Steady ... (Only in flashbacks)
- The Gateway
- All Hell
- "Shiny Happy People"
- "A Hole in the World"
- "Family Reunion"
- The Dust Waltz
- The Blood of Carthage