| The subject of this article is non-canonical.|
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse.
- "A new toy, and it isn't even my birthday. You're always thinking of me, Giles."
- ―Buffy Summers[src]
The Reaper blade was a hand held double bladed weapon used by Buffy Summers in the First XBox Video
Game:Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It had a "wing" attachment that caused it to return to the throwers hand like a boomerang.
History and Description
- Buffy: "If I get good with the Wing, when do I get the "Reaper Shoes" to complete the ensemble?"
- Giles: "Sadly, there are no "Reaper Shoes.""
- — Buffy Summers and Rupert Giles[src]
The Reaper blade was forged in 12th century Germany from various holy relics that were claimed during the Crusades. It had two sickle shaped blades pointing in opposite directions on either end of an ornamental handle. It had a supernatural sharpness and durability. It could be used as a powerful melee weapon, which could easily decapitate many demons and vampires. The attachable Reaper Wing allowed one to throw the weapon with great force and accuracy. When the thrown blade came in contact with anything aside from demon flesh, it "ghosted" out of this reality and passed through tangible matter without causing any damage.
Behind the Scenes
- The Reaper blade could be the same as the Reaper of the Tigris, a powerful ancient weapon mentioned later in "End of Days".
- The Reaper bares a striking similarity to the double bladed glaive/shuriken-like weapon in the movie Blade though the Reaper is much larger and is imbued with magic.
- The Reaper is similar to a boomerang in it's ability to return to the throwers hand after it is thrown, though it only performs this function when the "Wing" attachment is in place. Prior to the Wing being attached Buffy uses the blade as a (non-thrown) striking weapon only.