Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
| The subject of this article is non-canonical.|
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse.
|Buffy Comic Issue|
|Ring of Fire|
|Publication date||August 30, 2000|
|Published by||Dark Horse Comics|
|Pages||68 (story) + 6 (art)|
|Written by||Doug Petrie|
|Inker(s)|| Ryan Sook|
Crash Test Demons
Ring of Fire is a trade-paperback graphic novel set during Buffy's Season Two. The story is broken up into three chapters: "The Rising", "The Seven Samurai", and "Kelgor Unbound".
- From the back cover
- Angel's up to no good again.
- One moment of bliss with Buffy Summers, and Angel has returned to his murderous ways. The first to die is Jenny Calendar, Rupert Giles' lover. Now the corpse of a demonic samurai comes across the sea to Sunnydale, promising ultimate power for whoever revives it. An apocalypse is brewing over the Hellmouth, with Angel and Buffy on opposite sides!
- Doug Petrie, writer from the TV series, brings his intimate knowledge of the characters to a new artform, in his first graphic novel.
- Together with Ryan Sook, the acclaimed artist of the Spike and Dru series, Petrie presents a massive vision, too epic for the small screen.
In the aftermath of Jenny Calendar's death at the hands of Angelus, Giles' grief is mixed with fury. Buffy feels uneasy with her mentor's inability to cope with the death of Jenny. Meanwhile, the armor of a samurai demon is taken from a cargo ship. The demon had been named Kelgor, who in the year 1500 raised an army of the dead and caused havoc and death in Japan. Angelus, Spike, and Drusilla hope to utilize the armor for power of epic proportions. A new confrontation is developing over who can be the master the Ring of Fire, and with Giles barely functioning sanely, Buffy, Willow, Xander, and Kendra must try to avert a disaster.
- This story takes place during Buffy, the Vampire Slayer's Season Two.
- Buffy Summers
- Xander Harris
- Willow Rosenberg
- Rupert Giles
- Joyce Summers
- Kendra Young
- Jenny Calendar (only in imagination)
- Sunnydale, California
- Pacific Ocean, California Coast
- Kelgor, killed by Buffy with Giles and Willow's help.
Behind the Scenes
- Joss Whedon was quoted on the back of the book. He had this to say about "Ring of Fire": "Ryan Sook's pencils on Buffy are pretty thrilling - simultaneously dark and disarming, which matches the tone of both the show and the book. He and Doug Petrie are turning out the kind of wild adventures we wish we had the money for on the show. A tremendous lack of suck."
- Petrie and Sook also collaborated on "Bad Dog".
- Petrie wrote the introduction to the graphic novel, while several pages of Sook's sketches conclude it.