| The subject of this article is non-canonical.|
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse.
|Buffy Comic Books|
|Ring of Fire|
|Publication date||August 30, 2000|
|Published by||Dark Horse Comics|
|Written by||Doug Petrie|
|Inker(s)|| Ryan Sook|
|Comic Book Collections|
Crash Test Demons
Ring of Fire is a graphic novel of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic comic series.
From the writer of the television series and the most talked about artist on the comics series comes an intricate and explosive graphic novel. Set in Season Two of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the story begins just after Angel killed Jenny Calendar. Giles is a wreck, and Buffy's not much better, knowing the man she loves is a homicidal maniac. But when the armor of a samurai demon is stolen from a cargo ship, a new battle is pitched to determine who will master the Ring of Fire. With Angel teamed with Spike and Dru, and Giles nearly out of commission, Buffy, Willow, Xander, and Kendra hardly stand a chance.
- Angel have lost his soul ("Innocence") and killed Jenny Calendar ("Passions").
- Spike is using a wheelchair, as he began since his fight against Buffy in "What's My Line, Part Two."
- Giles comments with Buffy about Angel's sword abilities, and his intention to double her sword training in case they duel. This references their eventual battle in "Becoming, Part Two."
- Kendra's presence makes this story before her eventual death in "Becoming, Part One."
- Buffy Summers
- Jenny Calendar (Only in visions)
- Joyce Summers
- Fire-breathing bird
- Kendra Young
- Rupert Giles
- Willow Rosenberg
- Xander Harris
Organizations and Titles
- Pacific Ocean
- Sunnydale, USA
- Tokyo, Japan (Only mentioned)
Weapons and Objects
- All crew members of the Tokyo cargo vessel Kobayashi, killed by Angel.
- An unidentified police officer, killed by Angel.
- An unidentified bureau agent, burned by the Fire-breathing bird.
- Unidentified bureau demon agent, decapitated by Buffy.
- Kelgor, killed by Buffy, Giles, and Willow.
Behind the Scenes
- The cover has promotional pictures for Buffy the Vampire Slayer seasons 1 and 2.
- Joss Whedon was quoted on the back of the book: "Ryan Sook's pencils on Buffy are pretty thrilling - simultaneously dark and disarming, which matches the tone of both the show and the book. He and Doug Petrie are turning out the kind of wild adventures we wish we had the money for on the show. A tremendous lack of suck."
- French: L'Anneau de Feu (The Ring of Fire)
- Italian: Anello di Fuoco (Ring of Fire)
- "Omnibus: Volume 2"
- "Buffy Classic 10: Ring of Fire"
Pop Culture References
- Xander compares Giles's clothing to fictional character John Shaft.
- The second chapter is a reference to the movie title Seven Samurai (1954).
- Xander compares the Fire-breathing bird to Sesame Street character Big Bird.
- Spike refers to Angel as the fictional supervillain Brainiac.
- Xander quotes "the bad, the worse, and the ugly," in reference to the movie title The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966).