Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Holden: "You know, my girlfriend at college, she's so sweet. We have this great thing, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna go vampify her just so we can be together forever."
- Buffy: "Sire."
- Holden: "What?"
- Buffy: "The word—when you turn a human into a vampire—it's you "sire" them."
- Holden: "Cool."
- Buffy: "It's a noun, too."
- — Holden Webster and Buffy Summers[src]
Sire was the term used to refer to a vampire after he or she had transformed a human into a new vampire. The term was also used as a verb (to sire) to refer to the act of transforming a human into a vampire.
Sires possessed a psychic connection with the vampires they made, allowing them to sense their presence if they were at a reasonable distance. Angel, for example, received dreams of past events with Penn, just as Penn started committing murders in the same style as he did 200 years earlier, letting Angel know that he was close but not revealing his location. Additionally, Darla formed a connection with Angel, even as a human, and started appearing in his dreams which she manipulated using Calynthia powder.
List of Sires
- Maloker: to the first vampire and Simone Doffler
- Archaeus: to The Master
- The Master: to Darla (first sire) and Yuki Makimura (dubious canon)
- An unidentified vampire: to the Ratcatcher
- Darla: to Angelus and Sarah Holtz
- Angelus/Angel: to Penn, Drusilla, Sam Lawson and Theresa Klusmeyer
- Sophie Downs: to Roche
- Drusilla: to Spike, Sheila Martini and Darla (second sire)
- Spike: to Anne Pratt, Holden Webster, Charlotte, Billy Fordham and various others
- Amilyn: to Bessel
- Bessel: to Greuller
- An unidentified vampire: to Tom Mitchell
- Garner Sidle: to Marcus Sidle
- Zachary Kralik: to Blair
- An unidentified member of the Order of Aurelius: to Jesse McNally and The Anointed One
- An unidentified minion of Richard Wilkins III: to Harmony Kendall
- A member of Sunday's gang: to Eddie
- A member of Knox's gang: to Alonna Gunn
- Harmony Kendall: to Brad Konig and Justin
- Tibor and other members of Doug Sanders' Selective Slaughter: to at least two humans per member
- Unnamed vampire: to Charles Gunn (time reversed)
- May: to Jacob
- Alessandra: to Clare (as a zompire)
- Icarus: to Harth Fray (Harth sired himself by biting Icarus)
- Willow Rosenberg (Wishverse): to Sandy
Behind the scenes
- There's no official term to refer to the vampire who has been sired. Fans sometimes employ the term Childe, which is used in the RPG Vampire: The Masquerade. Another popular term is Fledgling or Progeny.
- In "School Hard," Spike refers to Angel as his sire. While Spike was sired by Drusilla, Joss Whedon has commented that the term "sire" can refer to any vampire in a lineage: thus, since Angel sired Drusilla, he can also be considered Spike's sire. By contrast, Spike refers to Angel somewhat more accurately as his grandsire in "Just Rewards."
- There has never been an instance of a vampire siring a non-human. However, a zompire once sired a demon.