| The subject of this article is non-canonical.|
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse.
|The Book of Fours|
|To combat a quartet of unnatural disasters, four slayers must band together: Buffy, Kendra, Faith and India.|
|Publication date||April 2001|
|Published by||Pocket Books|
Taking place during Buffy's third season, Faith and Buffy are the current Slayers and when mayhem caused by tidal waves and burning forests begin to erupt in Sunnydale as well as vicious attackers appearing with ceremonial axes, the gang knows that something is up. A woman named Cecile Lafitte has sent her Servants to kill the Slayers with special axes, Faith being the Slayer of Fire and Buffy being the Slayer of Air. Each Slayer has a special axe made to destroy the Slayer of that particular element. There are four axes in total; air, fire, water and earth. Should Faith and Buffy both be killed then it's believed that the line of Slayers would die out forever. Cecile wants to bring forth the Gatherer, and the only way to do so is to have the Slayers killed, which would feed the demon enough power to bring him forth into the world. Meanwhile, Willow ends up in the hospital with major brain trauma while Giles figures they need answers from the Watcher of the Slayer that preceded Buffy, India Cohen.
- Buffy Summers
- Willow Rosenberg
- Xander Harris
- Rupert Giles
- Cordelia Chase
- Joyce Summers
- Principal Snyder
- Sheila Rosenberg
- Ira Rosenberg
- Kendra Young
- India Cohen
- Sam Zabuto
- Lucy Hanover
- Mrs. Chase
- Xander's Aunt & Uncle
- Kevin Harris (Xander's cousin)
- Kit Bothwell (India’s Watcher)
- Simon LaFitte (voodoo king)
- Cecile LaFitte (voodoo practitioner)
- Mirielle (insane girlfriend of Zabuto)
- Anthony Yorke (traitorous Watcher)
- The Wanderers (Gatherer’s four servants)
Behind the Scenes
- India Cohen was the Slayer that preceded Buffy. She is seen on the front cover of the book, the third from left. The character also appears in Tales of the Slayers, Volume III, in the story The Code of the Samurai.
- Kendra's Watcher Sam Zabuto is killed in this novel.
- This novels introduces many family members of the scooby gang that were never seen in the series, like Xander's Aunt, Uncle and Cousin. Willow and Cordelia's father and mother appear.
- To battle the Gatherer, a spell is used that allows India and Kendra to possess Willow and Cordelia's bodies and allow them to fight alongside Buffy and Faith; it is never specified if the decision for Cordelia to host Kendra is a deliberate reference to the fact that the actress who played Kendra originally auditioned for the role of Cordelia before Charisma Carpenter received the part.
- Setting: Season 3.