Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Publication date||July 25, 2007|
|Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight #5|
"The Long Way Home, Part Four"
"No Future For You, Part One"
|Published by||Dark Horse Comics|
|Cover artist(s)|| Jo Chen|
|Letterer(s)||Richard Starkings & ComiCraft's Jimmy Betancourt|
A demon called Yamanh of Hoht holds up the body of a dead Slayer he believes to be Buffy Summers, with various demons around him cheering him on. It was not the real Buffy, but one of her body doubles. While the Decoy was dying, her life flashs before her eyes.
She remembers a previous conversation before going up to Yamanh to fight him, where her friend, a faerie named Tink, pleaded with her not to go. The decoy insists that Yamanh and his army are marching to the upper world and that Tink should go and warn others, while she will hold them off.
Then the decoy remembers how she had been activated. She was having lunch with her friends - having black hair then - when suddenly she was hit by an invisible force as her powers came to her.
The decoy also remembers seeing a commercial on local television starring Andrew and Vi, which helps the girl finds the Slayer organization and "the chain" to which all Slayers are connected. There, she trains in a squad with Rona and. one day also receiving a lecture from a visiting Giles.
She then thinks back to an occasion on which she was fighting vampires with a squad of Slayers, she intervened to save a fellow Slayer and was bitten by a vampire. Squad leader Rona identifies the Slayer as a candidate to serve as a Buffy decoy in an underground society of demons, monsters, and faeries.
The decoy thinks back on how after having accepted the job, she first climbed down into the darkness of the underground world. There she met faeries and slimefolk and after passing their tests, she explains that Yamanh and his demons will kill all the benevolent creatures there before moving above ground and that the only way to stop him would be by working together.
Then she remembers after being activated, she got up and at just that moment a driver had lost control over his truck, which would've hit her and her friends, if she had not reacted quickly. Luckily, with her new powers, she managed to save them.
Then finally she rememberes the fight against Yamanh and his army, in which all the benevolent creatures have indeed united at her side. In spite of that, he has beat her and she is dying, while he holds her body up. Just at that moment though, several Slayers, having been alerted by Tink, descend into the cave, to aid in the battle.
Her final thoughts suggest she was happy to have saved the world and been part of "the chain", even if her own name will never be known.
- The events presumably take place after 'The Long Way Home, Part Four', but before 'No Future For You, Part One'.
- Buffy previously mentioned the underground decoy in 'The Long Way Home, Part One'.
- Buffy Summers (Only mentioned)
- Yamanh of Hoht
- The Decoy (Also in flashbacks)
- Holly Braeburn (Only mentioned)
- Mike Billenger
- Rupert Giles
- Sineya (Only in flashbacks)
- Unidentified Maiden Slayer (Only in flashbacks)
- Naayéé'neizgháni (Only in flashbacks)
- Nikki Wood (Only in flashbacks)
- Elizabeth Weston (Only in flashbacks)
- Anni Sonnenblume (Only in flashbacks)
- Xin Rong (Only in flashbacks)
- The Master (Only in flashbacks)
- Andrew Wells
- Rome Decoy (Only mentioned)
- Simone Doffler
Organizations and Titles
- Unidentified demon
- Vampire (Only in flashbacks)
- Turok-Han Vampire (Only in flashbacks)
- Leaf-blower demon
Weapons and Objects
- The Decoy, killed by Yamanh of Hoht
- a demon, killed by The Decoy
- five vampires, dusted by Slayers
Behind the Scenes
- Scott Allie describes "The Chain" as an important story: "Joss put a lot into this one. If it were an episode of the show, he would have directed it."
- This is the first ever episode or issue of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" not to feature the character of Buffy Summers.
- The issue is dedicated to Janie Kleinman, a network executive whom Whedon had worked with and admired.
Pop Culture References
Additional alternate covers
|“||The Decoy: "There is a chain, between each and every one of us. And like the man said, you either feel its tug or you ignore it. I tried to feel it. I tried to face the darkness like a woman and I don't need any more than tat. You don't have to remember me. You don't even know who I am. But I do."|
|- The Chain||”|