| The subject of this article is non-canonical.|
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse.
|The Hollower, Part One|
|Publication date||May 12, 1999|
|Angel: The Hollower #1|
first issue in series
The Hollower, Part Two
|Published by||Dark Horse Comics|
|Cover artist(s)|| Jeff Matsuda,|
Jon Sibal &
Angelus, the hunky, wildly popular vampire squeeze of Buffy Summers is now sporting his own three-issue series! Follow Angel as he trails an ancient horror, straight from his own adventures in Europe to present-day Sunnydale. Will he be strong enough to overcome the monster’s unique powers? Find out in this summer’s hottest new series, straight from the adventures of Buffy the Vampire Slayer!
- Buffy mentions the demon she’s fighting ugly even for a chaos demon; Spike had described this species as disgusting in "Lovers Walk".
- Buffy mentions she prefers spending the night with Angel in a school dance or with a dinner and a movie, which they’ll do in episodes "The Prom" and "Enemies".
- Angel is described as being “nearly a quarter of a millennium old”; born in 1727, he was about 272 years old in 1999.
- Angel is also described as being cursed twice, his second time in episode "Becoming, Part Two".
- Catherine DeLancie
- Drusilla (Only in flashbacks)
- Rupert Giles
- Johnny Lee
- Spike (Only in flashbacks)
- Buffy Summers
Organizations and Titles
- San Francisco, USA
- Sunnydale, USA
- Vienna, Austria-Hungary (Only in flashbacks)
Weapons and Objects
- An unidentified man, bitten by Catherine DeLancie.
- An unidentified woman, bitten by Johnny Lee.
- Johnny Lee, eaten by the Hollower.
- The chaos demon, stabbed by Buffy Summers.
- Unidentified woman, bitten by Spike (only in flashbacks).
- Unidentified woman, bitten by Catherine (only in flashbacks).
- Unidentified man, bitten by Angel (only in flashbacks).
- Gavin, staked by Angel.
Behind the Scenes
- Published even before the homonym television show, it’s considered the first Angel comic issue, although still a Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic publication.
- Artist Jeff Matsuda debuts as cover illustrator in Buffyverse comics.
- The photo cover includes a promotional picture for Buffy the Vampire Slayer season three.
- Differently from other representations, at this point the comic issues had vampires also able to transform into green creatures with red eyes, pointy ears, a wide mouth, and long teeth. Although, this seems more like an artistic choice, not having direct consequence to the stories.
- A gravestone written “Nelson Kent — Accepted his fate” is a reference to fictional superhero Doctor Fate.
- The Hollower is described as the only natural predator vampires have other than the Slayer; the novel "The Wisdom of War" explores the Moruach species, vampires’ ancestral predators, although both publications non-canon.