|"The Problem with Vampires"|
|Publication date||December 22, 2003|
|Published in||"Tales of the Vampires, Part One"|
Prague, 1997: Drusilla has been captured by a human "inquisitor" and thrown into a jail. The inquisitor proceeds to torture Drusilla in a unique chair built for that purpose in 1478. He hopes Dru will remember the pain forever, serving as a warning to other vampires to stay away from the people of Prague. Drusilla tries to recount the things that make her happy, including little girls lost at the fair and little boys wandering too far from home, so that she can forget the torture.
Meanwhile, Spike has been lying on the ground beneath a bridge he was thrown from by a mob that shoved a stake into his chest, inches from his heart, thus not dusting him, so that he would flee and warn other vampires to stay away from the city. Spikes crosses the city, finds Drusilla, and kills her captor.
- This story reveals the events that caused Drusilla's weakening before she and Spike first went to Sunnydale ("School Hard").
- They mention going after the Hellmouth and the Slayer, which happens in "School Hard". Ironically, the couple expect that it would bring them some peace, when in fact they would have their relationship and lives shaken after their encounter with Buffy Summers and Angel in Sunnydale, notably in episodes "Becoming, Part Two" and "Fool for Love".
- Drusilla's health would be restored through a ritual involving the blood of her sire, in episode "What's My Line, Part Two".
- The torturer accuses Drusilla of lacking emotion. Both her and Spike would be eventually accused by the Judge of "stinking" of humanity, as they shared "affection and jealousy" ("Surprise"). Years later, when Buffy declared vampires weren't able to love without a soul, Drusilla would be able to answer: "Oh, we can, you know. We can love quite well. If not wisely." ("Crush").
Organizations and Titles
- Slayer (Only mentioned)
- Hellmouth (Only mentioned)
- London, England (Only mentioned)
- Madrid, Spain (Only mentioned)
- Prague, Czech Republic
Weapons and Objects
- Torture chair