The Slayer Handbook was a manual given to Slayers by their Watchers to instruct them on how to operate as the Slayer. One of these handbooks, titled "Vampyr" on a large leather bound tome was owned by Rupert Giles. Giles presented it to Buffy Summers when she first arrived in Sunnydale. After meeting Buffy, Giles decided she wasn't one to follow rules and put the book away. It was presumably kept at his apartment in Sunnydale.
After his death, Giles left the book to Buffy. Though Faith was left with all the rest of Giles's possessions, she believed that Giles was trying to tell Buffy that she was the one true Slayer and he believed in her. It was last seen in the weapons chest in Buffy's bedroom in San Francisco.
After they teamed up, the Slayer Handbook was sought after by Severin and Simone. They believed it would help them successfully turn Simone into a vampire instead of a zompire, after which she would be able to defeat Buffy. Among its contents was the secrets of the Deeper Wellspring and how to access it.
After the new Seed of Wonder was formed, Buffy and Willow discovered, much to their shock, that the Slayer Handbook was now completely blank.
Behind the Scenes
- A box version of this book was part of the Buffy merchandise.
- On the Q&A SlayAlive forum for BTVS Season 8 #40, Scott Allie confirmed that the Vampyr book and the Slayer Handbook were one and the same.
- "Welcome to the Hellmouth"
- "The Harvest"
- "What's My Line, Part Two" (Only mentioned)
- "Goodbye Iowa" (Only mentioned)
- Last Gleaming