| The subject of this article is non-canonical.|
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse.
|Publication date||September 23, 1998|
|Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic #1|
first issue in series
|Published by||Dark Horse Comics|
|Cover artist(s)||Arthur Adams|
After getting beaten up by some vampires and watching Blood Fist Warriors of the Harvest Moon, Xander decides to take up martial arts. He joins a local Kung Fu school, but the instructor is disdainful, calls him "candy-boy", and regularly roughs him up. Meanwhile, (and completely coincidentally), Lloyd Modano, the Sunnydale High "Karate Champion" is found murdered. Research by the Scoobies points to a legendary vampire Kung Fu master named San Sui, who travels the globe looking to challenge other martial artists in duels to the death. During one of Xander's Kung Fu classes, San Sui attacks and kills his Sensei; fortunately, Buffy appears on the scene just in time and holds San Sui off long enough for Xander to plunge a stake in the vampire's back. Buffy and Xander agree that, in the future, she'll do the fighting and he'll do the punning.
- Xander reminded Buffy that she had previously gotten into trouble by skipping training to go to a frat party.
- Buffy Summers
- Xander Harris
- Willow Rosenberg
- San Sui
- Rupert Giles
- Cordelia Chase
- Unidentified Sensei
- Principal Snyder
Organizations and Titles
Weapons and Objects
Behind the Scenes
- The name of comedienne Janeane Garofalo is incorrectly spelled as "Jeneane Garafalo".
Pop Culture References
- Xander suggested that vampires should cure their hunger not with humans, but with 7-11.
- The Scoobies are torn between watching the romantic comedy "The Truth About Cats & Dogs" and the (fictional) action/horror flick "Blood Fist Warriors of the Harvest Moon"
- Oz mentions that he thinks stand-up comedian Janeane Garofalo is cute.
Additional alternate covers
|“|| Xander Harris: "I tell ya, Buff, if I'm gonna fight. You're gonna have to pun better." |
Buffy Summers: "Uh, okay, what's a vampire's favorite slushie? ... Type "O" negative."
Xander Harris: "Ouch. Stick with the fighting, Buffy!"
|- Wu-tang Fang||”|